Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Food Bank

Stephen and I just celebrated 8 months of marriage. I know all married folk can verify the strange time speed once you say “I DO;” you know the one where you blink and it’s already 6 months, then 8 months, then one year? Yea, that one. But in all honesty, I have really tried my hardest to enjoy the first 8 months because I knew this would happen.
We have experienced so much in the last 8 months of marriage, more than the average couple I’m sure. We’ve already talked about the expired hamburger meat, and the burning the flesh off of my fingers, but let’s talk about the good things for a second.

1)      I have learned that my father will still give my husband “the eye” if he does not open my car door or doors in general. This has rendered me completely incompetent on how to open my own doors. Thank goodness I haven’t locked myself in the car yet.

2)      No Matter what, he will always carry 10 grocery bags while I carry the bread. If I’m lucky, he will let me carry the eggs too.

3)      He knows spiders scare me and even though he shares the same fear, he still kills them for me.

4)      He is so sacrificial when it comes to letting me do what I want. He does it with a humble heart and never only sometimes complains.
Alright, enough. Let’s talk about the stuff most newly wedded couples never tell you.
1)      You are poor and you will form a refined taste for rice and beans
I’m going to stop right here and tell a little story with good morals at the end so pay attention love birds. My mother volunteers at a local food bank that allows people to drive up and have the food placed right in your car for you. MERICA! So nice! Well, my mom calls my husband and tells him that there will be plenty of food if he wanted to come grab a few boxes. This is sweet music from the lips of Jesus because my mother has taken home some of the food that is left over and there are lots of good food. Yay cupcakes! Stephen drives an hour to get to this place waits in his car and then receives the food. My mom tells him there are extra boxes and he can have more if he wanted it. He ended up with four boxes of food which is great because I know there has to be cupcakes in one of those boxes!
I call Stephen on my way home from work to find out what the boxes contained. He was acting like he just watched a marathon of Honey Boo Boo or something; sort of zombie like. I asked him what was wrong and he tells me,
 “Courtney, we have so much food…”

“Babe, it’s no problem, we’ll cut up fruits and veggies and put them in bags and freeze them.”

“No, no…you don’t understand. We have sooooo much food.”

“Stephen, it’s fine! We’ll figure it out, I’ll be home in five minutes I’ll take inventory and we’ll work it out”

“Okay. Just come home and see for yourself”

I walk up the stairs to our apartment and I open the door trying to get to the cupcakes and then I see it.

Mountains of food in our living room just sitting there next to my husband as if they were both expecting this reaction. To make the rest of this story short, SOMEHOW, these volunteers at the food bank managed to pack all of this into four boxes.

·         7 dozen eggs (on top of our two dozen already in the fridge)
·         4 grocery bags of fresh, farm grown squash
·         5-6 stalks of bananas
·         8 grocery bags of fresh, farm grown green beans
·         2 grocery bags of apples
·         13 different styles of breads
·         20 TUBS OF WHIP CREAM
·         2 birthday cakes and one pie

The only good thing that came out of this is we managed to snag 5 containers of cupcakes! I packed up a few boxes and we took stuff around our complex and just gave it away. And we gave some to Stephen’s parents. But the moral of the story is,

*Only get one box of food from the food bank…unless there are no cupcakes then try another box.*

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great wrighting about something I'm NEVER gonna do! Sounds like fun...Mr.Phillip

    ReplyDelete