Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

We are THAT couple

Stephen and I have become THAT couple. You know the really gross ones that nuzzle noses in the airport or match outfits for no reason at all? Yes, that is what we have become in only 10 months; the couple most people see and quickly pretend to get a phone call and walk the other way. I kind of think it's great though because you don't see that very often. Okay, you see it all the time, but do we really see it in a couple married for 20, 30+ years anymore? Am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly adorable to see an elderly couple hold hands or see the gentleman open the door for his sweet little wife even if he barely has the strength to open the door? I love it!

How do I know that we have crossed the line of serious infatuation? Stephen and I just got back from visiting a seminary in Boston that Stephen has been looking into for grad school. We were the only married people in the open house group so it was awkward from the beginning. We got there late because of our flight delay and when we walked in to eat lunch, everyone was already done and about to take the campus tour so we had to grab our lunch and go. As we were taking the tour, we were laughing at each other because we were stuffing our faces with food and trying to look normal while we walked. I swear I felt like everyone was giving us "the look."

 
 The "please Lord don't let them be THAT couple because I will lose my lunch if they are," type of look.
 
 
 
Fortunately, no one lost their lunch and we only nuzzled noses once a few times.
 
I had quite a few people ask me what I would be studying if I went there and I had to explain to them that I wouldn't be studying anything and that my husband is the one interested in grad school. I don't think the single people knew what to say when I said I would just be a seminary wife, here to support my husband in whatever he chooses to do. Their response was more or less:

 
And secretly on the inside they were doing this:
 
 
Awkward.
 
If that wasn't enough, I noticed we have become THAT couple because the other night we went to a candle party together. a CANDLE PARTY! I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore candles, especially in the fall and Christmas time when your place smells like a pumpkins and cinnamon and/or Christmas trees... but who goes to a candle party together? We do. And we accidentally matched. I actually liked it. I can't speak for Stephen just yet because he is still trying to find his dignity. But at least our apartment smells like pumpkins while he does so.
 
But in all seriousness, Stephen is a champ! He really has been a sport for doing the silly girly things with me like going to candle parties and trying the expensive shampoo so I can see if I like it on his hair or not. I'm proud to be THAT couple and I hope we do until we can't remember if we are a couple or not from old age.
 
 
What do y'all think? Are you THAT couple? Or if you are single, are you disgusted by those couples? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment